First things first, there is no need to dress up for your shoot. Your film isn't a performance, but it is a documentary of your family. When you see the finished product you will be surprised at how little you see the clothing, and really just see what your family as you see them. You'll see all the emotions, interactions, personalities.
CLOTHING TO AVOID BECAUSE THEY CAUSE WEIRD EFFECTS IN VIDEO:
- Too much denim can make weird patterns up close.
- Stripes that are tiny and the same size, like seersucker or pinstripes
CHARACTERS OR NAME BRANDS.
- Your kids might love Moana now, but there is no faster way to date your videos and photos than to wear huge logos, words, and cartoon characters. Characters with faces especially draw attention away from the face. Athletic shoes, Athletic socks: great for exercise, but just don't do it.
OVERMATCHING OR OVERDRESSING
- We all love children in church clothing, but unless you're on your way to church or a special occasion, this is a real-life session. You want your kids to look and feel comfortable. Please avoid clothing that is identical, it can resemble a uniform. Example- khaki pants for all the members of the family.
- Undies only for part of the time is ok for kids under 6, just not the entire time. Also avoid disposable diapers showing.
- I can work around almost any clothing situations I am presented with. But, I can do nothing about messy hair. Everyone's hair should look neat, the best version of what you normally have.
DO MIX AND MATCH. DON'T BE AFRAID TO MIX PATTERNS. EMBRACE COLOR!
WHERE TO SHOP
Nordstrom Macy's Target Mini Boden
Old Navy Buckle Hautelook.com MyLittleJules.com
Gap Marshall's ShopRuche.com Janie & Jack
Zulily.com J Crew Charlotte Russe CrewCuts
Zara.com H&M Forever 21 NextDirect
Anthropologie TJ Maxx Local Clothing Stores
PREPARING YOUR HOME
Everyone worries that their home is messy, or needs to be perfect. I use lenses at the shoot with a shallow depth of field, so there is no way I am going to see dust. You can straighten up things, but don't go overboard and make everything look like it just came out of a magazine. Your film is about your family, and personality and character is important. If something is too distracting I will move it myself or shoot at a different angle.
My favorite films are where families are doing normal, everyday things. Your home is not a stage. This film is for you. It is to help you remember the happiness in everyday moments and how your life was like with your little kids running around. Here is a list of a few things to take care of though before I do come to the shoot.
- Tuck in any plastic garbage bags hanging out
- No disposable water bottles
- If you want to cook or bake, have everything measured out of the ingredients ahead of time. I have to avoid brands in your films, so have the ingredients in some bowls.
- If you have a really dark rug that the kids play on, consider vacuuming that rug.
- I will be kneeling on the floor, so please have the cluttered cleared for walking. But it doesn't need to be perfect
- Have the beds made. I love to photograph cuddling time. If you only have time for 1 bed choose one nearest to a window that an adult can fit onto.
BEING AUTHENTIC IN FRONT OF THE CAMERA
It can be really hard to be in front of a camera. I won't be shooting every second. We will start off by chatting a little bit, and I will get to know you and your children. When I show up I will take some detail shots from around your house, and then I will start photographing your family. The first 15 minutes will probably feel awkward. But just be engaged with your children and you will start to forget I'm holding a camera. I'm not a fly on the wall, and I will still continue to chat with you throughout the shoot.
I know that having a camera pointed at you can make you nervous. But I am asking you to trust me. I will not use anything that is unflattering, and I take lots and lots of video. Cute things will be constantly happening and I will stick around until we have enough footage for the film. If at any moment your child is obviously done, we can either take a break or be done with the shoot. Don't panic if your child gets cranky/tired/sleepy/hyper.
I cannot wait to work with your family to capture moments of your beautiful life. Thank you for welcoming me into your home.